Thursday, December 20, 2012

Barbara Keal: Remnants of a Dream

Yesterday I went to the Anthropologie in Rockefeller Center to see the Barbara Keal exhibit "Remnants of a Dream" in the gallery that is housed in the retail store. I must admit I always forget that this Anthropologie location has a gallery and after seeing the exhibit yesterday I decided to keep better tabs on what is being shown there. I had read about Barbara Keal just recently for the first time in Selvedge magazine-one of my all time favorites for inspiration. The write up mentioned she had an installation up until the end of the year in the gallery, so I made a point to go see it before I head off for the holidays. When I got to the store I was delighted by the installation in front of me that transformed the small gallery space into a fantastical and magical wooden workshop, transporting me a million miles out of the hustle and bustle of Rockefeller Center holiday shopping.












Honestly, I wanted to crawl into one of her pieces and live in this little cabin forever. The felted pieces, constructed of sustainably sourced sheep and alpaca fleece from local farms, were haunting, elegant and rustic all at the same time. Individually the pieces would have been completely breathtaking on their own had they been displayed in a more traditional gallery sense - but her work displayed in collaboration with her husband, Richard Keal, was pure magic. Richard Keal is a woodworker who is inspired by "spontaneous twists and bulbous knots of untouched wood" all collected in East Sussex, UK where the couple and their children reside.






 In addition to the felted pieces and woodwork, the show also included some of Barbara's vocal and ceramic work.






If you are in the New York area in the next week or so I would highly recommend going to check out for yourself.

For more information on Barbara and Richard Keal:

http://www.barbarakeal.com
http://www.kealwork.co.uk


Photo: www.barbarakeal.com



No comments: